Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pitfalls and hidden traps trying to become vegan

Recently, my friend Gordon posted on his new blog A Vegan in the South a rather surprising and shocking piece of information for those of us who thought that they were keeping vegan by eating certain brands of “veggie burgers.” Reading Gordon’s post actually depressed me briefly, as I had been using Morningstar burgers as a primary means of getting some protein into my diet without using tofu, seitan, or tempeh (which I use, but I haven’t used enough to be really comfortable using all the time yet). I think I will ultimately be much better off not eating Morningstar burgers and I have found actual vegan burgers (Gardenburger brand) since I read Gordon’s post, but his warning opened my eyes to how much I don’t know about what I should and shouldn’t eat and how so very important carefully reading those labels is to making sure that what I’m eating is indeed vegan and not some weird marketing hybrid of ingredients.

No comments: